If you are suffering from a tooth loss problem, don’t worry. We have gathered all the information you require to get a dental bridge procedure in Gurgaon.
What is a Dental Bridge?
If you have a missing tooth or teeth, a dental bridge can fill the gap with one or more than one artificial (false) teeth. In this article, Dr. Balwan Singh explains all about dental bridges. A bridge is usually made of crowns on either side of the missing tooth or teeth supporting the pontic (an artificial tooth) and is cemented in place.
Do you require a Dental Bridge?
Dental bridges help if you have a missing tooth or teeth. The most common causes of missing teeth are gum disease, tooth decay, and injury. Or maybe you are born with missing teeth due to a birth condition. To get a dental bridge, you require healthy teeth on either side of the missing teeth.
Why do you need a Dental Bridge?
Your teeth work together. So, if your tooth is missing, nearby teeth can move into space. The teeth in your opposite jaw can also move up or down in the space. It can cause:
- Bite issues
- Chewing difficulty
- Pain from too much stress on your teeth and jaw
- Self-consciousness about the way you appear or your smile
What does a Dental Bridge look like?
A typical dental bridge has:
- Abutment teeth: A dentist places two crowns on the teeth on either side of the gap. These supporting teeth can be your natural teeth or dental implants.
- Pontics: This false tooth fills the gap and attaches to the crowns.
Types of Dental Bridges are available?
The 4 main types of bridges are:
- Traditional fixed bridge: It is the most common type of bridge. It has two or more crowns along with a filler tooth or teeth that are all connected. The crowns keep the bridge in its place. Traditional bridges are made of metal, ceramics, or porcelain fused to metal.
- Cantilever bridge: In this type of bridge, the pontic connects with only one abutment tooth. It can be an option for people who have teeth on only one side of the gap.
- Implant-supported bridge: This bridge is like a “traditional fixed bridge.” Instead of being cemented in place, it is held in place by implants.
What Happens During a Procedure for a Dental Bridge?
You will typically need at least two appointments:
- Abutment teeth preparation: During your first appointment, your dentist reshapes the abutment teeth. They will remove part of the enamel and dentin, so there is room for the crown.
- Impressions: Your dentist takes impressions or a digital scan of your teeth. A dental lab uses this mold or scan as a model to form your bridge, artificial teeth, and crowns. You will have a temporary bridge to keep the exposed areas in your mouth protected while the lab creates your bridge.
- Permanent bridge placement: During your second appointment, your dentist removes the temporary bridge and places the permanent one. Your doctor will check the bridge and make any required adjustments. They will make sure that the bridge fits you comfortably.
What are the Advantages of Dental Bridges?
Some of the advantages of getting a dental bridge procedure are:
- Helps your bite
- Prevents remaining teeth from moving out of place
- Improves the ability to chew and speak
- Restores your smile
Do Dental Bridges have any Risks or Complications?
If you take care of your dental bridge, it can last for many years without any problems. The bridge may not work out if the surrounding teeth decay or if the cement deteriorates. Furthermore, if the bridge becomes loose and the supporting teeth are still healthy, and in place, your dentist can re-attach it with new cement.
How long do Dental Bridges Last?
Dental bridges can last for about five to seven years. With good oral hygiene and regular dental cleanings, the bridge can last for more than 10 years.
How do I Care for my Dental Bridge?
The success of your dental bridge depends on the health and strength of your remaining teeth. It is especially crucial to prevent tooth decay and gum disease with a bridge, which could lead to tooth loss. For proper oral hygiene, you should:
- Brush twice a day and floss daily
- Get regular dental cleanings
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet
Now that you know all the essentials of a dental bridge procedure get in touch with a dental clinic in Gurgaon. Consult a dentist and determine your condition and whether a dental bridge is a right option for you.